Friday, April 10, 2009

To My Dearest Jackson, On Your Second Birthday

Dear Jack,
My sweet, sweet baby boy, I love you so much! You are going to be two years old tomorrow, and I can’t believe how quickly the time has flown by! It is so amazing how much you have grown and changed in the last two years, and I am so proud of all that you have accomplished in this last year!
    • When you were 17 months old you knew all of your letters and numbers! You could recognize them when I showed them to you in any random order, and you could pick them out when I asked you to show them to me in any random order! In the past few months you’ve gotten faster and faster and faster at this and one of our favorite games to play is finding the letters as fast as you can!
    • You are growing so big and tall! You are 36 1/2 pounds, and 37 inches tall, and the doctor tells me that you are the size of the average 4 year old! Mommy isn’t sure you’re quite as tall as most 4 year olds, but you do weigh more than a few of your 5 year old friends! You are a very solid kid, just like your daddy and your Uncle Travis. You love to eat (just like your momma!), especially fruit, and you love to drink water! Every morning you remind me to give you your vitamin, too!
    • You are such a good boy! Mommy was very concerned when you were such a crabby infant, but she has been pleasantly surprised to see how well-behaved you are as a toddler! You do a very good job of keeping yourself in check, too! Ever since you were 16 months old, every time you’d catch yourself starting to get frustrated, you’d stop yourself from whining and remind yourself to “Be nice!” and to ask for “help please!” You are just like your mommy in that you love to have positive reinforcement and, though I am generous with my compliments, if I ever miss something you aren’t afraid to remind me to tell you that you did a good job or to tell you how proud I am of you! You’ve even told me “good job” a few times, and also “I so proud of you!” So many things that you do make my heart swell, but you telling me that you’re proud of me definitely is one of the top on that list! Occasionally you do get a time out, but they are few and far between, and you are very good about sitting until the timer beeps and then telling me what you did wrong. You always tell me “sorry momma!” and give me a kiss before heading off to play!
    • You are learning how to spell! You can recognize and spell your name, both Jack, and Jackson, and you know how to recognize and spell mom, dad, stop, cow, and Nike!
    • You aren’t colorblind! Mommy was really concerned when you didn’t seem to know your colors by 19 months, since genetically you have a 50% chance of being color blind (thanks Papa!), but one day when you were 20 months old, it seemed you just woke up one day knowing what all your colors were! You love to ask “What color is it?” and then you answer your own question! You make it a game to see if you can answer faster than mommy can answer! Mommy was sure that your favorite color was yellow, just like hers, but yesterday you declared “My favorite color is BLUE!” quite adamantly.
    • When you were 20 months old you learned all your shapes! The first was a star, and than an oval, and then a heart, a square, a triangle, a circle, a diamond and a rectangle. Your favorite (besides the star, there was a reason that one was first!), though, is an arrow, and every time you see one you start yelling and pointing “Do you see the arrow! I see the arrow! Momma do you see the arrow?!” and you don’t stop until I say that I see the arrow, too!
    • You are still a very careful kid! You are not a daredevil, and you’ve hardly ever given mommy a heart attack by climbing on something that was too high and dangerous for you. When you do climb up on something, though, you always try to catch my attention to tell me “I did it all by myself! Good Job!” And whenever you climb down, you always remind yourself to “be careful!” Mommy is very grateful that you are so careful, especially since you tend to be quite the klutz! It’s not your fault though... you get it from your mommy! Also your size tends to exacerbate the problem. But the older you get, the less you fall down!
    • You love water! Whenever you see water, in any form, you start squealing and you want to go play in it. You love the rain, you love the hose, you love the pool, you love the sink, you love your bath, and you love the ocean! When you’re in your bathtub, you roll over onto your tummy and push yourself back and forth and say “I swimming!” and you remind yourself to “kick your feet!” and “don’t drink the water!” And when you’re done you tell me “I a good swimmer!”
    • You love music! You sing all the time, day and night, and you always ask me to sing, too! When we’re out and about, I always hear you exclaim “An instrument!” and you follow it up with “it a (insert name of instrument here, usually a ‘biolin’)!” And when mommy or daddy pull out one of their guitars, basses, or daddy’s ukulele, you get so excited and want to join in! When we’re listening to music you sing along with the ones you know, and whenever the song is over you exclaim “I like that song!”
    • Trains, planes, helicopters, the moon, stars, cars, trucks, taxis, police cars, tow trucks, dump trucks, big rigs... you are all boy! You are a big observer and always notice what’s going on around you, and when we’re riding in the car you either get so quiet as you look at all the other vehicles on the road, or you jabber on nonstop about the things you are seeing. Typically, you sound like this as we’re driving somewhere: “Oooh a taxi! I see a taxi! It a yellow taxi! Momma do you see the taxi? It a taxi! Look a red truck! Momma I see red truck! Oooooh it a police car! Do you see the police car? See the lights on the police car? A blue car! I see a blue car! A big rig! It a white big rig! I see white big rig, too!” And, being that you love music you always ask me to turn the radio on, so it gets very loud in the car.
    • You went to Hawaii this year! You loved it, and you did really well sleeping in the big bed with grandma, and you were such a good boy despite not napping the whole time! You loved riding on the airplane, and you loved the rain and the wind and the ocean! I think your favorite part, though, was hiking up Diamond head and to Manoa Falls in your daddy’s backpack! You laughed so hard! While we were there you added ‘Aloha’ and ‘Mahalo’ to your vocabulary and you’ve told me these many times since the trip! The other day you spontaneously started telling me about our Hawaii trip and the things we saw there! I’m constantly amazed at your memory and how well you pay attention! Nothing gets by you!

Your daddy and I are very very blessed to have you, and we thank God every day for choosing us to be your parents! You are such an amazing little man, and we can’t wait to see what amazing thing you’re going to do next! Thank you, my dear boy, for being you! I hope some day you are able to understand just how much we love you!

Love, forever and ever,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment